Monday, September 4, 2017

Speech and Silence

"Talking, speaking out, demonstrating your knowledge, and making yourself known are taken as signs of "real" engagement."-Ann Russo

With how my life has changed drastically in the past several years, I understand the difference between speech and silence. I felt a connection to Ann Russo's article that was to be read by last Tuesday. As I might feel as if I've changed my life for the better in recent years, and can compete with more successful people in the community, I understand that not everyone is as privileged as I am. I agree with Ann's article where she says that white people, for example, are privileged and are too afraid to speak up and admit it. Ann's article discussed the difference between speech and silence as a matter of speaking up or not for what's morally correct for our nation's culture.

Ink.com wrote an article on 5 reasons why you should speak up. The fifth reason they mentioned why you should speak up is because you may not be alone. I think this is the message that Ann is trying to tell in her writing, that white people need to step up to point out prejudices in society, and not just do it for attention and personal gain. In Ann's words, white people have to speak out about injustices without making themselves, "the centers of power and knowledge". You can view our society as being a system of power, one that easily will take in account prejudices that work against you, not just racism, but look down on you for the class you are as well. This can be a problem in my viewpoint because your race, class, and also gender are things that are not entirely up to you to decide.

The personal connection I have with this article is the title, Between Speech and Silence. I have a hard time speaking up in all sorts of ways compared to how I was in the past, even if my life is better organized now. Something included that I struggle speaking up about is my political opinions in a face to face argument. Hopefully as a communication major I can understand in the next few years if creating an argument is worth it or not. Maybe it is, if you're fighting the injustices in the world.



https://www.inc.com/kevin-daum/5-reasons-you-should-speak-up-even-when-you-think-you-shouldnt.html

No comments:

Post a Comment