Monday, September 11, 2017

Blog Post #1

As a student entering my third year here at Boise State I have taken several communication classes. I have learned how there are many different aspects of communication and listening is a major one at that. Having taken a course specifically designed around listening I know that there are several different types. In this class one of our first topics we discussed was “compassionate listening”. Compassionate listening is, in my honest opinion one of the most effective listening techniques there is. Compassionate listening shows that there is a real interest from the listener in what the speaker is saying. As someone who believes that listening is a real skill that must be practiced, compassionate listening is something that I myself use often when talking to people to show them that I have a genuine interest in what they are telling me and to show that what they are saying is valued. A quote from one of our first readings from chapter four states, “When we listen to learn from the other, we are presented with an opportunity for discovery that is always grounded in the different perspectives, values, and cultural locations of the other” (Chapter 4).  This quote shows how this style of listening also gives us an opportunity to learn the most about the speaker.
Something that I enjoy using compassionate listening for is when I listen to music. That allows me to listen to the real meanings behind songs and see the stories they tell. It makes listening more interesting and something that you would want to follow up on. It can also be applied to much more than music as well as; conversations, while watching the news and other television programs, etc. It is a well rounded skill to have.
Something that it is also used for is conflict resolution. In the article, Journal for the Study of Peace and Conflict compassionate listening is talked about as something that is used to resolve issues on both parties sides. All of this is outlined in the article, http://www.compassionatelistening.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Journal-for-the-Study-of-Peace-and-Conflict.pdf

Works Cited:
Thomas, C. (2015). Active listening: Teaching with music. Yale Center for Teaching and Learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment