Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Little Birdies...blog post #2

Stereotypes.  Perceptions.  Identities.  Or maybe it should read perceptions, stereotypes, identities?  Either way, after the readings about symbol use, semantic triangle, Crooked Room (Harris-Perry), Fear (Andres Gomez) and chapter 6 of identity and perception, I’m curious where the beginning starts?
Our parents or those who raise us are shaped by these same concepts.  The perceptions (the baggage they carry with them for how they view the world) shapes how they may parent.  It affects their choices to use public schools vs private schools, what activities we participate or don’t participate in, to how they discipline us…plus so much more.  This in turns shapes who we become and the cycle continues.  At what point are we our authentic selves?
Take for example Crooked Room and the women who spoke about the myths (stereotypes) and facts about African American women.  Some women may fall into those categories naturally because it’s how things are.  For those women, I wonder if there was an opportunity in their lives to move outside of the normative circle and have become more than the norm allotted for?  For the women that did move outside of this circle, why?  What was it about them that gave them the power to say no?  I’d hope the answer would be education.
Education comes in various formats.  There is the traditional format that comes to mind when thinking of the word, i.e. school (education > semantic triangle > we know that education can mean multiple things).  Another format of education can be influential people around us who share their wisdom, which eventually help mold us in some fashion.  Then there’s the streets, meaning culture, social norms, etc..  Street education, I believe, can by one of the most influential forms because of our desire to fit in and belong.
Perhaps it would be fair to say all three forms of education I suggested are needed to help life a person out of the stereotypical norms set forth by our society.  If street education is the most influential, I’d say having role models, or at least one, that helps remind you to keep your mind open and willing to accept outside information.  Last would be academic education, because that’s what will fill in the gaps and wholes the other two leave open.

It would be interesting to speak to others who rose above the stereotypes and ask questions about why they think they were able to break the mold society set for them.  I ask myself this question a lot.  Coming from the background of a single mom, low economic status, drugs, “welfare queens,” etc., what was it about me that allowed me to move away from what I thought I was destined for, to something I never could never knew was an actual possibility?  I believe the only reason why I got to where I am, is because of my grandparents being that little birdie whispering in my ears.  Imagine what would happen if more little birdies were whispering in the ears of young children who want to be more, but assume they’re destined to be right where they’re at?

No comments:

Post a Comment