Thursday, September 28, 2017

Blog 2

The statement I chose to discuss with in the readings comes from Andres Gomez’s chapter titled, Fear Beneath The Façade. The sentence is this: “Each small step was prove to myself that I was bigger than my fear that I was not a hapless prisoner to the plethora of phobias that consumed my every thought, proof that what terrified me could be made into fuel--use to propel me toward my dream”(Gomez, 2). 

In class, we talked about this idea perception. This is simply defined as how a person sees the world and this view is determined by the social and political environment where that person resides. First of all, this statement is so important because it is the moment when Gomez decides to stand up to his fears and alter his perception of the world because he was tired of being scared of everything all the time. This is very relatable event that happened in his life, as far as his change in perception. This relatability in his experience with his changing perception also made the statement important because it helps the reader relate to the writer. When I read the statement, my mind immediately went to my change of perception of needles. I had a phobia of needles until I chose to change my perception by asking myself what the worst thing that could happen was if I got a shot. When no real viable answers came to mind, I knew being this scared was all in my head. I recognize the problem and willingly change my perception, just like Gomez.

 The sentence also makes me think differently about the course material because it helps me realize that perception is rooted in everything we do. However, if we take a step back and decide to willingly change our perception, it might be very challenging but rewarding in the sense that we gain an entirely new way of looking at something. Gomez chose to change how he looked at his fears, much like I changed my perception of how needles were a terrible thing that was designed to hurt me.

Gomez, Andres . “Fear Beneath The Façade.” Accessed 28 Sept. 2017.

 Relevant link: http://www.npr.org/2017/08/20/544861933/how-one-man-convinced-200-ku-klux-klan-members-to-give-up-their-robes
 I chose to include this link because Daryl Davis is the person who helped change the perception KKK members had of him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment