Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Blog Post #2

Mikenna Nelson
Sept. 26, 2017
Blog Post #2

            While talking about perception in class, Christina gave the example of how we filter our perception.  She used the analogy of a jar and a selection of sand and different size rocks.  The jar represents our entire perception of the world.  The larger rocks represented what were most important in your view, while sand represented “fill ins” in your view.  I thought this was a very accurate and easily applicable way of describing your perception of the world.
            As we were going through this analogy I started thinking of what I use to fill my jar.  A big part of my perception is based on the place I grew up in.  I spent the later years of my childhood in Rexburg, ID, a very Mormon populated community.  Living in this area severely altered how I see the Mormon community.  Many people were judgmental and only had one mindset of how someone was allowed to do something and whoever didn’t follow these standards was wrong and bad.  This environment changed my perspective of that religion and I would consider that to be a larger sized rock in my jar.  This experience also changed my perspective on how I treat others.  Showed me how judgement can affect others and the importance of not judging a book by its cover, I would consider this to be a mid-sized rock. 
            Not only the place where I lived, but my family relationships also altered how I think about the world.  Half of my life my parents were married, everything seemed to be the “perfect family life.”  The more recent half of my life my parents have been divorced.  I feel like having experienced both sides of most people’s family styles.  I know what it is like to be a part of the more “privilege” life style, parents being married.  But I also know what it is like to be a part of a family of divorce.  Personally, I believe that having both of these different views of family life helps me relate to different life styles.  Since, it was in the younger years that my parents were married, I would consider that to be a smaller rock, while being a part of a divorced family would be a slightly bigger rock. 
            Another aspect of perception is would be what we consider our political stance to be.  I believe that many people’s political views stem from their parent’s political views.  Growing up my parents were never overly involved in politics, consequently I was never exposed to political views.  Based on my lack of exposer I am still not very involved in politics at all and I would consider this to be my “filler sand.”
            Overall, I found this to be a very interesting topic of discussion for our class.  The analogy used in class really opened my eyes to exploring my own personal aspects of what makes up my perception.  I think it would be a good idea for all individuals to do this exercise, to open their mind to what their personal biases might be. 


            

No comments:

Post a Comment