Friday, September 22, 2017

Blog 2

Over the past two weeks, we have discussed a lot of material in class, read a lot information in our text book, and analyzed different articles. Out of all the material that I was exposed to over this time period, I found that the Mythologies reading by Roland Barthes was the material that I took most to. I felt this way not only because of the way this material was presented, but because if the way the author explained it and connected "mythologies" to the information the author presented. The "Preface" of this reading discusses a lot of symbols and symbolism. After reading this and attending class this past Thursday I could connect this reading, especially the "Preface" portion, we discussed symbolism and particularly "familiar signs" in class. The Mythologies reading and this particular discussion connect becaused I found this to be the . most interesting part of the lecture and th reading. I think that I felt this way because I had never thought about simple gestures and "symbols"in that depth before. After gathering that information and discussing it, I felt an "epiphany" moment. This is where I discovered this connection. I suddenly realized that the simple gestures or symbols I sue with my friends everyday are more than they seem, and the symbols more know throughout the United States culture like the touchdown gesture, for example, seem to have an even bigger effect. After these past two weeks I have started to think more about the simple handshakes and gestures I witness being in a college campus. I will forever think differently, and in a sense, more highly of these "symbols" than I did before.

No comments:

Post a Comment