Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Erik Jones Blog 2

"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much"
-Helen Keller

This quote stood out to me for numerous reasons. This quote was noticed in chapter 5 groups and alliances in Culture. Personally, this was my favorite chapter out of the book. This was my favorite because, it taught me all about organizational culture and how it impacts ones life. As a member of many clubs and a fraternity at Boise State this chapter taught me about myself, and others in my clubs without them even knowing. The biggest knowledge I gained about this chapter was the section over rights and rituals. Reading this section it even mentions the fact on how fraternity's use rights and rituals. We can learn so much reading this chapter, and from this quote.
As a member of many clubs and organizations we always band together to make things happen. This quote to me means that one person cannot make a different, but personally that is not the truth I think one person can, and they have. Some people that have a made a big difference basically on their own are Abe Lincoln, Martin Luther King, And God. These people that I just mentioned have made a large impact in this world. I don't think they did it alone, but they all started alone, but ended up gaining followers and attention and that is how they changed the environment. It takes one person to come up with an idea, but it takes multiple people believing in the movement and what that one person has to say to really make an impact in this world. Also I feel like this quote is false, for people in America have different power and status in the world. For instance, if Donald Trump says some BS like he always does on twitter or the news, he will have people and followers believe him. Obviously he is the president and has a lot of power in the US and already has many followers, but as one person he can change the way people think. I agree with the part of the quote where it says together we can do so much. For example, last semester, my fraternity held a fundraising event from October 23rd to the 27th. This week we held was called TKE week, and it basically is a week where we try to raise as much money as possible by throwing many events, and quad days. Last year we were trying to raise money for one of my brothers sister that had cancer. As a team me and the guys managed to raise 16,000 dollars within one week for her. Even though it wasn't all the money didn't come events that we held or our families, but we came together as a team and marketed the hell out of this great event and raised it together. He was forever grateful and so was his family, but it just shows that if we come together we can achieve greatness, just like this quote says. This quote is defiantly important in todays media and how people view each other, because there are so many race issues happening in this world today, and people need to listen to Helen.
Thank You
Erik Jones <3

No comments:

Post a Comment