Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Blog Post number One (1070)

Throughout the readings of Chapter 4, the author tries to put into words what is truly compassionate critical listening. The sentence that stuck out the most to me is that “Listening to learn from the other is a way of enacting change in our relationships and positions in the world.” After reading this chapter, I asked myself the question what is listening to me and I also wondered if this sentence meant the same thing to me as it does to others. Considering the word relationship and positions are both words that could have different meanings in multiple cultures.

So, what is listening, I think we could all come up with a different explanation of what true compassionate listening is and how we can define it. I can come up with many words that pertain to listening, open-minded, free of bias, concentration, validation, engaging but I don’t feel that a single word could truly define listening in one phrase and maybe it’s not possible to put all those emotions into one sentence because listening has many layers. I personally believe that listening is on a much deeper level and more emotional than I had ever thought about before. Something that can’t really be put into words but if I had to try and come up with a way to describe it, the sentence above leads me to believe this. That listening is a way of deeply connecting with people, and when you can reach that level of connection that you are truly listening. This by no means must be romantically connected but in some way whatever it is that drives your passion connects you to people from all over and in different areas of your life. Thus, pushing you into positons in the world that make you and the world a better person. If your truly passionate about what you’re doing, you can easier connect to the people you’re doing it with and in turn be a better listener.
I think it goes without saying why this is important but to elaborate, currently I feel, myself involved, that we are listening for all the wrong reasons, for our own personal goals. But if the world could start to listen for the purpose of learning, we could truly make a difference in relationships all over the world. We may not have to agree but we could all learn something and connect with people on a deeper level and see cultures from a different perspective. The world would be a very different place and our culture, especially now could be in a much different position.

A great example of this comes from the book The Zen of Listening: Mindful Communication in the Age of Distraction currently on my audible. The author Rebecca Shafir states “Listening to what motivates employees helps them to excel in what they do best, thus creating a happier, more fulfilling work environment.” I think this is a great example of listening that promotes learning and creates better environments, relationships and motivation in the work place thus pushing their company to greater heights. Giving them the opportunity to feel heard and going forth with those actions leads to not just a better work life but a better life. This is just one example of a type of environment where making people happier just by listening to them and learning from them can prove to be better for everyone. This quote from the book can be taken on both a large and small scale both at home, school, work, and all areas in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment