Monday, September 11, 2017

Blog Post #1 - Derek Bryant


As I slowly make my way through my communication degree, I am always surprised by how many things there are to learn about communication. Communication is this dynamic thing that includes lots of different parties and is constantly changing depending on how and when it is used. I was reading chapter two from the assigned textbook, Communication: A Critical/Cultural Introduction, 2nd Edition, by John T. Warren and Deanna L. Fassett, and read the quote, “Yet, somehow, when (many) new public speakers begin to prepare a speech, they often forget the most fundamental communication skills they have learned in their own lives, opting instead for detached and irrelevant topics that speak to no one in the room.” (Warren, 33) I was surprised to see this because we had just recently learned the same thing in my public speaking class. As I began to prepare to speak in front of the class for my first speech of the semetster, I was required to learn more about the class and create a speech that was catered to them more than myself. It was a very eye opening experience where I learned that if you cannot engage an audience and hold their attention, then there is really no point in trying to speak because they will not listen.  This then circled back into my life in the form of conflict management. When dealing with a problem, it is important to take into consideration the other party that is upset or annoyed. For me, the idea of perspective became very clear and it made me realize that I cannot look at every social situation through the same lenses and same speaking techniques. This idea was then solidified by the book I read in my LEAD 325 class, Leadership and Self-deception, Getting Out of the Box. Published by The Arbinger Institute. The author talked about the same ideas of emotional intelligence and perception shifts that I began to saw in both of my other classes. Overall I now know that communication has lots of different parts, but audience is the biggest and most important part. Also that communication is much more important and necessary that everyone give it credit for.    

No comments:

Post a Comment