Thursday, September 28, 2017

Blog Post #2

Blog Post #2
            Perception is defined as, “How a person sees the world, as influenced by the social, political, and cultural experiences that frame and mark them” (Fassett & Warren, 99). Even though this concept may at first seem obvious and unnecessary to explore further, I believe that understanding and acknowledging perceptions can lead to potential problem solving and an overall greater acceptance of other people. In class, we learned how perceptions play a role in essentially everything because they influence how we think, view life, interact with others, and in what we choose to place significance. I can recall multiple scenarios throughout my life in which my own perceptions have affected, either positively or negatively, the given situation I was in. I believe that the perceptions I currently have are a direct result of the culture I was raised in. My perceptions on religion, politics, relationships, education etc. are all influenced by the culture I come from. I believe it is essential for people to acknowledge and have at least a general understanding of where their perceptions derive from for a variety of reasons. First, by acknowledging where our perceptions are created, there is the potential to reduce conflict. It is also crucial if we want to analyze how our perceptions influence the everyday choices we make and how we interact with others. I also find it necessary to recognize that other people have different views and opinions as a result of varying perceptions, and that this is okay! Possibly, by increasing the awareness of how our perceptions influence our everyday interactions, we can create a more accepting attitude towards other people and their beliefs. Malhotra writes in her article, “It’s Just a Matter of Perception- Learn to Understand and Appreciate it” that, “A great majority of people believe that accepting others’ perspectives can potentially indicate their defeat in an argument. Nevertheless, they are able to see complexities of a situation and make a better judgment by giving rightful value to others’ opinions.” I find this quote extremely valid when considering why exactly I am often hesitant to acknowledge other people’s perspectives. I have noticed that people, myself included, can often be stubborn in their ways and have a tendency to be prideful. Acknowledging another’s views may be seen as a submission to their side of the argument, resulting in a defeat. This “defeat” however should not be seen as a loss, but rather, a step closer to understanding or connecting with another person.
I feel that it is important to realize that other perspectives are not always wrong, but simply different. I was raised going to Catholic church and every single member of my family, on both sides, is Catholic. My family has always been friends with people of other religions, and we truly have never judged anyone for their beliefs. It wasn’t until last year when I met someone who was LDS and they asked me several personal questions about my religion. We got into a somewhat heated conversation in which we exchanged our conflicting beliefs. I remember refusing to acknowledge her point of view because it was not a perspective that resonated with me and the beliefs I hold. I even remember being confused as to why she would think some of the things she was claiming were undoubtedly the truth when they had absolutely no validity in my mind. Looking back on this interaction, I realize how it was wrong for me to not acknowledge her perspective as being valuable. If I had taken into account that her beliefs derive from a culture filled with ideas and experiences that are probably very different from mine, then our interaction could have potentially been more successful. The bottom line is that everyone is different. We all come from different cultures that contain varying beliefs and experiences that ultimately impact the way we view and interact within our everyday lives. It is crucial to not automatically dismiss others for their given perspectives. I truly believe that if we take the time and put in, even a tiny bit, of effort into understanding other people and where they’re coming from, this will ultimately lead to more successful and positive communication interactions. Hopefully, this might potentially direct us to an overall acceptance of varying types of people as well.

Fassett, D. L. & Warren, J.T. (2015). Communication: A Critical/Cultural Introduction. London:
Sage Publications.
Malhotra, R. (2014). It’s Just a Matter of Perception- Learn to Understand and Appreciate it.
            Sheownsit- Celebrating, Supporting & Connecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment