Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Blog Post #1

This past week in class we discussed the concept of listening and the large role it plays in communication. In today’s society we are constantly distracted by other modes of communication especially social media. We may be hearing what another person is saying but are we actually listening to what they are trying to communicate to us. I like the example the textbook gives of hearing a song in the grocery store but you're focusing on what bread you need so probably wouldn't be able to recognize the song after leaving. This occurs everyday for most individuals in the aspect of what we choose to actually listen to.

I think in my personal life I notice myself doing this in a classroom setting where I have a difficult time being an active listener. I have always struggled with this because I am thinking about what I need to get done when I get home or what other assignments I need to finish. With having this in mind I have to make an effort to engage as much as possible. In the textbook it talks about how different students try to engage in the classroom settings whether that be by taking notes or asking questions in specific classes. Something else I have to keep in mind is some courses I am able to concentrate a lot easier in than others. With that in mind I know I have to use different listening tools to adapt to the various classes I am in.

Last year I took the communication listening course which was especially beneficial because we went in depth of the role listening plays and how much we need it to communicate efficiently with others. I don’t think people realize it is just as important as the verbal part of communication. A lot of what I learned in that class I try to carry out in my everyday life as well as in the relationships I form with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment