Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Blog 1

I was unable to choose just 1 sentence from the readings this week, because the one that spoke to me didn’t make sense without the other. In the class reading, “Between Speech and Silence: Reflections on Accountability”, Russo, when speaking on her involvement in Incite!’s conference, says, “These transformational moments in my life have mostly occurred when I am intentional about how much space I take up and how much space I give to listening; when I stop myself from thinking only about what I have to say, or assuming that what’s most important in this moment is for me to reveal myself as knowledgeable. It happens when I listen with Curiosity rather than simply for confirmation of what I think I already know” (Russo, p. 38). This spoke most to me because I am constantly trying to find my place in feminism and race issues. I am a middle class, white female. Although I don’t fully understand privilege and all that it entails, I have been told that I am very privileged, and I would agree based on what I’ve learned about culture and privilege in classes. I think it is important to be educated to the best of your ability before speaking out on these kinds of things.

Last week, we did an activity in class that required us to speak about some very controversial topics. My group got “Black Lives Matter.” Immediately I was uncomfortable. I wasn’t upset because I disagree with the BLM movement, but because I wasn’t educated on the politics that surrounded it. I think a lot of people parade around stating that they are pro-Black Lives Matter because they are afraid of the consequences attached with opposing the movement, rather than educating themselves and finding where they actually stand. I don’t want to be one of those people. All I could contribute to the conversation was that there is a sense of ignorance that gets attached to people who speak out on this topic without the right education. At that point, I didn’t even know if it was appropriate for a white person to say “black lives matter.” As Russo said, I needed to educate myself, figure out where I stand on the topic, and find my place in advocating for what I thought was right.

I did some research on the Black Lives Matter website and was surprised at my findings. First of all, I didn’t even know that women founded the entire movement! I also had no idea that this movement encompassed so much more than just raising awareness to the issue of racism in our country. They also focus on diversity, globalism, loving engagement, queer and transgender affirming, and empathy. One thing that stuck out to me, specifically, was the fact that they acknowledged their level of privilege! Under their principle of globalism they state, “We see ourselves as part of the global Black family and we are aware of the different ways we are impacted or privileged as Black folk who exist in different parts of the world” (Blacklivesmatter.com). Before doing this research, I always had negative connotations attached with privilege. Russo discusses that white people generally don’t like to talk about their level of privilege because it creates an awareness of that separation of classes when it comes to racism.


After doing my research on Black Lives Matter, I am much more comfortable speaking about the topic and where I stand. As a woman and a feminist, I can say that I agree with the principles and values outlined by this movement. My next adventure is to, listen, be aware of my space, and find my place in advocating for this movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment