Monday, September 4, 2017

Hearing vs. Listening

Something that caught my eyes from chapter 4 in Communication: A Critical/ Cultural Introduction was, "we live in and are surrounded by sounds" (pg 63).  After reading further we came to the understanding that hearing and listening are two different things.  When we hear a noise we are probably not going to be able to identify it soon after it happens, but when we listen to a sound it will have a certain meaning to us and this will cause us to remember.

This reading made me realize how much of the my daily life I am not paying attention to.  Most days I will be wearing headphones around my apartment or on my way to class and this closes me off to parts of my life.  This is stoping me from hearing and listening to the things that surround me.  After the reading I have learned how this is not helping me in any way.  By blocking off sounds with my headphones I am losing my ability to know how to properly listen.

One thing that can benefit people's listening skills is to sit in silence for a few minutes everyday.  By doing this we are learning how to listen again.  We a making are ears more sensitive to sounds that surround us.

I found this chapter in the book to be very important because listening is not one of my strongest skills and it made me more aware of ways I can listen instead of just hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment