Sunday, September 3, 2017

Audience awareness

“Elbow suggested it is important for writers to develop a heightened awareness of audience to develop strong, powerful, effective writing.”

I agree that when you start with an idea that you would like to convey to others you need to start by envisioning the audience that you are trying to reach.  It is important to gather all potential ideas and brainstorm. You need to understand your audience. What is the interest of the audience? What is the audience’s belief and cultural background? What is the age group that is being targeted or is there no age limit? These are some of the questions that I as a writer or communicator need to be prepared for.

I want to invite the audience into my world of ideas so that I can present it to them. I want to make sure that I set a proper goal and then I can work towards it. Being prepared prior to presenting to the audience can help with being successful.

Furthermore, it is essential that I am convinced of what I am presenting. I am reflecting the topic in my voice and in my demeanor. My voice is what also reaches the audience. If I interact in a positive way, I am more inclined to convince the audience.


In addition a good speaker engages the audience with the communication and listens. Some of the audience might not understand and agree with the point of view but trying to understand and listening to the audience’s concerns helps to build relationships. It also helps to evaluate critical thinking for a different point of view. Aspects that might have not been considered are suddenly valuable and can influence a perspective. An active problem-solving perspective encourages a stronger connection with the audience that I am trying to reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment