Saturday, March 31, 2018

Blog #3


The sentence that stood out to me the most for this month was actually more of a definition. “Autoethnography is also known for its commitment to diverse representational forms, vulnerable and evocative description, and articulating the particularities and complexities that comprise lived experience”. I’ve obviously heard of people telling their own stories in their words, but I never knew that there was a name for it or a deeper reasoning for using it. I think it’s important to be aware of when an author takes this route and to think critically about what message they are trying to convey to their readers.

            People may use autoethnography for a variety of different reasons, but I think prominently it’s to expose the truth behind messy and uncomfortable situations that you have to experience to actually understand. When authors are able to be vulnerable and express situations that happened to them in their life, they can create a deep connection with their reader. This can also give other people who haven’t experienced these problems personally, a better insight to what other people go through on a daily basis.

            While I was reading the article about family bullying, I was really intrigued because this is something I have never experienced and wasn’t really aware that it’s something a lot of people go through. I was able to see how much it really affected these people personally because they were willing to share their personal stories, which allowed me to visualize myself in their situations. This got deeper in our class discussion when other students began to share how this is something they have also experienced and can deeply relate too. Being able to hear these stories and now have a word to describe what it is that I’m hearing and reading allows me to expand my thoughts and views on life. This is now something I will watch out for and take more time and consideration while reading it because I know that it’s most likely a hard experience for the author to share.

I personally have never wrote something like this, but I imagine I could have some good insights on particular topics. I could write critically about moving away from all of my friends and family and I could write about losing a loved one. These are two events that I’m sure a large majority of people could relate too, but for those who can’t they could see what it’s like from my point of view. Hearing these stories from someone who has actually experienced them, could make them a lot more real for someone who hasn’t. I also imagine that if I were to write these articles, people who have experienced it would have some written form to relate to.  

In an article I found they continue to discuss the importance and sensitive nature of autoethnography writing. They mention that it’s able to express certain culture and life changing epiphanies that people have. It also emphasizes the thick description and detail that they contain. After learning more about the actual definition I also found some stories written by people that I think illustrate the fundamentals behind this kind of writing.

Links:


http://eprints.maynoothuniversity.ie/5730/1/AR_changing.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment