Monday, March 26, 2018

Blog #3


Blog #3

            The term that we’ve recently covered, and that I found to be the most interesting, is simulacra. When we covered this idea in class I found it to be both interesting and relevant. We can observe the inadequate representation of people and things daily, it’s practically commonplace. Simulacra is used as a tool, and it’s very successful in selling both things and ideas. At times, and in certain circumstances this can be innocent and harmless.
            An example of harmless simulacra would be hot chocolate. This product is often successful in selling not just the product itself but the feelings and ideas that are attached to it. In this instance, Christmas, cold weather, and being together are some of the ideas and feelings attached to hot chocolate. By appealing to these correlating ideas, companies can compel you to buy their product though they aren’t actually selling you Christmas or cold weather, or anything associated with hot chocolate. In this sense, marketers are doing their job, and when used ethically, simulacra can be used as a harmless marketing tool. On the flip side, what about the not so harmless side of simulacra?
            When applied to people, I think simulacra has the potential to have a negative effect. I will apply this term to my personal life as an example. I am, ethnically, a Colombian woman. I have dark hair, eyes, and a medium skin tone. Now, in a place like Idaho where the mass population is homogeneously Caucasian, there are some ideas pertaining to people of other ethnicities that are taken as fact. Disclaimer, I am very conscious that not everyone in Idaho shares these ideas about other ethnicities that I am about to discuss. I can appreciate that Idaho has some very well rounded folks.
            Some ideas that I have encountered growing up, came as a shock to me. I was adopted at an early age and the most Colombian thing about me is my looks. Since nine months old I have lived in Boise, Idaho and have been raised in an upper middle class home, by white parents. This is the only reality that I have ever known. As I grew up I learned that people had already generated some ideas about me based solely on my looks.
Some people assumed that I didn’t speak any English, and were visibly shocked when they learned that I could, and do it well. Along with shock was also the relief that comes with sharing the same language. Others would also assume that I was poor and likely lived in Caldwell or Nampa, because “that’s where all of the Mexicans live." Being Mexican is the most common thing that people assume that I am. The list goes on and on but the point remains the same.
These inaccurate ideas of my history and who I am as a person are all inadequate representations of me. I think most people here would find that we share more in common if they hadn’t already surrendered to the fallacies that simulacra can sometimes produce. It’s a real shame sometimes but in light of this ignorance I have found that I have met some of the most amazing, open minded, and sweet people because of simulacra. You see those that have already written me off due to simulacra don’t care to get to know me because before even meeting me they have deemed me as an unworthy person. But, for those that have a more open mind, they know that looks don’t define who someone is, and we learn from each other. These people are gifts, they are my friends and my family; they look over the fence rather than stay within it.
            So, simulacra is a very interesting idea. In my opinion it takes someone that works outside of the lines to not fall victim to some of the lies that simulacra can produce. People need to do their research and not take everything with a grain of salt. If you’re unsure or curious, ask questions and get answers rather than make assumptions about things, and especially people. Our ability to use our brains is a treasure; it’s what sets us apart. Use your brain and discover an amazing world full of interesting things and people, even if they are different from you. It’s our differences that make the world such an intriguing and amazing place anyways!
            Below I have attached a link to a video that I think portrays simulacra when applied to people. I found it to be funny, relevant, and who knows, maybe someone can relate to it as well. Assumptions really can hurt but I can see where they come from. Still, it’s important to base your opinions on your own research and experiences, rather than subscribing to someone else’s. I think the world would be a much more colorful place that way. Open minded, curious, and questioning, that’s how you discover truth and learn new things.
           
Things Non-Spanish-Speaking Latinos Are Sick of Hearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKJe4BTC1Vg

No comments:

Post a Comment