Thursday, November 1, 2018

October Blog Post

Something that stood out to me this month was our discussion on cultural appropriation. Learning about the media effects about this really sparked my interest. I was also very intrigued when we watched the movie about Disney and how they portray gender and ethnicity in their films. These are things that I would have never even caught if we did not discuss them. Going back and watching these Disney clips as an adult, I realized things that I never picked up om before and may not have picked up on them if they were not pointed out to me. I felt the idea of social construction fell into this since Disney is a media that we typically watch as children and grow up with the ideas and mannerisms that Disney enforces on children. While I did feel that some of the movie was a little dramatized, I understand the points they were making that there is not enough representation of different cultures in these classic Disney movies and when there is, they are tend to be represented in a stereotypical way.

No comments:

Post a Comment