Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Micaela Klocko
COMM 160
Dr. Ivey
5 November 2018
Mediated Cultures

“You’re not Mexican! You have green eyes, light skin and brown hair”. This is the response that has followed my mom and my sisters and I for as long as I can remember. Now, I should mention that I am only half Mexican, but I am very proud of my culture so I definitely feel that I am half 100% Mexican. But my mom is not half, she is 100%. Her family comes from Durango, Mexico and they are, for lack of a better description, your “typical Mexican” looking people. All my relatives on my mom’s side have very dark to black hair, tan skin, brown eyes, and do my aunts and cousins ever love their bright red lipstick. Not only is this description of my Mexican family, it also the stereotypical description given to all Mexican men and woman. 
    The course material covered over past month introduced me to the concept of stereotyping and relating certain characteristics, traits and cultural practices, as the norm for  specific cultures, and then the making of these traits well known throughout the world, is mostly done though the many media platforms that exist today. This practice is called mediating cultures. The idea of mediating cultures is the relationship between the media and culture. This mediating can be between all cultures, but I am going to be focusing on the Hispanic culture. Today’s media, as well as films and magazines portray the Mexican people in a very specific way, particularly the women.  A prime example of this could be Sofia Vergara. Vergara is seen to be the ideal portrayal of the Mexican woman. The hair, clothes, makeup and accent, all serve to impress upon the public what the Mexican woman is. And if someone does not fit that bill then they are not seen as a “true” or “real” Mexican (as is the case with my mom). Let me be the first to say that there is definitely some truth to what the media is saying. Stereotypes would not exist if there were not some truth to them. But it is the fact that if someone does not fit the “cookie cutter” idea of a Mexican they can often be passed up for certain roles in different lines of business such as the film and modeling industries.
      But the difference between the cultures and the different ways that we all look is what makes us and the world so beautiful. It is the differences in our looks, culture and backgrounds that makes every individual unique. Mediating cultures in in of itself is not bad, for there is truth in much of it, but it is the taking of opportunities from the people who do not fit the stereotypes that is not right. But being a part of a culture and being able to have the opportunity to introduce the people that we meet in our life paths to our different cultures is something very special. In my own experience, introducing someone to your culture can be one of the greatest feelings ever. I love exposing my friends to how my family is and the cultural things that we do together as the result of having a Mexican mom. There is this movie called When Fools Rush In, that is about the romantic journey between a Mexican girl and her “all American Caucasian” boyfriend. It shows that there are many differences between them culturally speaking, but that is possible to build a beautiful bridge between the two. 
     Mediating cultures can be both a curse and a blessing. But it is in the hands of those that are being portrayed a certain way in the media, to either waste energy being upset about what is being portrayed or said, or they can use the stereotyping of their cultures to show those who are not a part of their culture, the truth about who they and what their culture is. And they have the opportunity to show the unique sides of their culture that are the most precious to them, that often times are rarely exposed in the media. 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment