Friday, September 7, 2018

You before Me: Them before Us

You before Me: Them before Us
A little self- actualization will lead to some interesting discoveries. About three weeks ago I began a Communication class and we started delving into the idea of Active Listening. One might ask: “What is active listening? Isn’t it just sitting there and making good eye contact and nodding your head once in while…?” Now I know I cannot speak for everyone, but unfortunately those are definitely some behaviors I have employed sometimes when someone is talking to me, be it family members, close friends, or people I have just met. So, what is Active Listening?
    Active Listening, according to Ann Russo, in her book titled Between Speech and Silence: Reflections on Accountability says that: “active listening…implies a willingness for our identities, ideas, theories and actions to be transformed in the process of dialogue”. This is the idea, that listening, is not simply just hearing what someone is telling you, letting a lecture, your mom’s rant on how your shorts are too short, or your friends’ latest relationship drama, go “in one and ear and out the other” -- to use a popular cliché. Active listening is truly hearing what someone has to say or is telling you. It is the notion of relating yourself to what they are going through, actively putting yourself in another’s shoes, taking to heart what they are telling you, and ultimately embracing the full notion of empathy.
    Writing this blog has been such a blessing in disguise, meaning that at first, I was thinking my goodness, I don’t even know how to this. But what I have come to realize is that delving into the idea of how I personally interact with others, with regards to listening, and then observing how other people listen to others, gave me the opportunity to have quite an epiphany about active listening. I thought to myself: “how many times have I gone to coffee with a friend or a coworker, to just chat about life, and you get to the nearest Dutch Brothers, order, sit down, and then one of you goes, so what’s new? How have you been? And the other person starts with oh I’ve been great, but omg! Let me tell you about what the boyfriend did! Oh, he made me so mad…! How many of us in the beginning of the conversation, or in this case rant, would be genuinely interested in the first few minutes, but then your phone vibrates in your pocket, you start staring at the cute heels that the lady at the counter is wearing, and wondering where she got them, Amazon or the mall? Hundreds of distractions begin flooding your mind and soon, you’ve lost track of what is being said, you start thinking well this person has been talking long enough it’s my turn, or, oh please, she thinks she has relationship issues…? Wait till she hears about mine! We are not actively listening at all! We are not putting ourselves into someone else’s shoes and caring about how they are feeling, or what they are going through, we have been hearing those around us, but not listening. Listening requires our full attention, and engagement, asking questions and putting the forth the effort to see where others are coming from. To me, asking questions is a very effective way to actively listen. I know that that method may not work for everyone, and everyone can find their own way to actively listen, but asking questions and engaging in dialogue, is the method that I have found works for me. If I put the needs of others before myself that will not only allow me to understand society as whole better, but it will allow me to put you before me, and then in a more global aspect, them before us.
    And as a fun splash to illustrate my point, I found a clip from Everybody Loves Raymond, it demonstrates the notion of asking questions and engaging in dialogue to resolve conflict, as well as to see the points and concerns of others. This particular clip involves the relationship between parents and child, but the way that Ray handles the situations can be applicable to almost every situation in life.  I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment