Friday, September 7, 2018

Amanda Reinard Blog 1

Out of all the readings we have done so far, the Russo reading has stood out to me the most. There were many times throughout the reading where I stopped to think about what it was saying, because many of the points she brought up really resonated with me. The part that I found most interesting was when she talked about how listening is often times the best way to be able to understand other points of view, and it is one of the most humbling experiences. Russo explains that we need to “sit back and be open to a more collective process. Commit to rethink your own assumptions, and confront the internal obstacles the other must confront.” When we realize that our way is not the only way, we are then able to take in others ideas with more of an open mind, therefore understanding the other side better.
As I read through Russo’s point of view, I really started to reflect on whether I believe I am an active listener or not. Although I have always thought I am a good listener, Russo made me view listening in a different light. It is not only the act of sitting back and hearing what somebody has to say, but truly understanding where they are coming from, and letting your own thoughts take a backseat. In the example she provided, “the story of a white student who once protested that her concerns were not being given the same validation as black people,” she explained that a white student struggled with the other students in class as they argued to increase the number of black teachers in schools with predominantly black students. Russo explains that it was through “a subsequent commitment to deep active listening that she came to appreciate the differences in power and privilege at stake” and she came to understand the students better.
This idea of using listening to understand people better reminds me of the “me too” movement that happened recently, spreading awareness to sexual harassment and sexual assault. Many people who came out after hiding this for many years were seen differently, because people finally new what they had been through. Taking the time to listen to what other people have to say can dramatically change a point of view or even cause somebody to change their own opinions, even if they never thought possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment