Sunday, September 30, 2018

Blog Post 2

Throughout our lives in one way or another, we have acted differently when it came to certain people and certain situations. We have put on a "performance" - who we are as the result of repeated, patterned actions - for our family, and our friends without even realizing it. However when we put on this act, we sometimes may find ourselves in the front of the stage, presenting our self as we are. This usually happens when we know we can trust the audience in front of us, or else we wouldn't be executing such a role. As the old school saying goes -just imagine the audience in their underwear and it will be easier to present. But other times when we find ourselves nervous or unaware of the people around us and unable to imagine an easy crowd, we make our way to the back of the stage where we hide our whole, or part of our self. This plays in a big role in identity, and who we are personality wise. We may always be at the front of the stage because we're outgoing and automatically trust those surrounding us without even second guessing. However, if we're introverted and not accustomed to our environment, showing our true traits may come with time. Role-playing is one of the most important ways we show our gender, since that in itself is a performance for some individuals in our world today. And sometimes when this happens, those who watch may react negatively or positively, depending on how difficult our gender choice may be.
Personally, I would say that the biggest example of me giving a performance was during my high school years. I always found myself at the front of the stage; comfortable because I knew the kids I went to school with since we were kids, and I was able to find for myself an identity quickly. No matter what environment or situation I was in, I was always my goofy and nice self to everyone I met and spoke with on the daily basis. However, as high school ended and I found myself searching for colleges, this outgoing self slowly disappeared. And when I arrived at my chosen university (obviously Boise State), I quickly ran to the back of the stage. Without touring the school or the city, I found myself coming into a world blind and without any guidance which made it difficult for my true self to shine. This soon became my new identity, and it was something that was very hard to adjust to. But, as time has gone by and leaps have been taken, I have seen that it is possible to make it back to the front of the stage even when it seemed intimidating and impossible to reach. With perseverance and time, its possible for us to to look at our audience in the crowd as just somebody in their underwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment