Friday, September 7, 2018

August Blog Post - #1

Throughout my life it has become more and more apparent to me that I am a very selective listener. I believe I get this from my dad as we both hear exactly what we want to hear, but other information tends to go in one ear and right out the other. As I have gotten older, I am realizing how important listening really is and have tried to change this bad selective hearing habit. Listening is such a major part of communication, especially in a lifestyle point of view. For example, In order to keep friendships and connections with people, you have to be able to communicate and listen otherwise it becomes so frustrating and almost like a one-sided friendship. If people only talk and then don't engage when someone else speaks and shares their stories or opinions, it can create some serious issues. I have made it a point for myself to really listen and engage as much as possible to people because it is so important. On top of this, if someone is really listening to you, it makes you feel more valued and respected in any type of relationship. My dad has really taught himself how to become a better listener because in the business world, it is crucial to hear what other people want in order to decipher how to proceed in any project. I look up to him a lot and he has taught me so much about the importance of really hearing others. 

I chose to talk about listening in this post because it is such a fundamental part of communication. Of course, there is a huge difference between hearing what people say and listening while comprehending and processing. After learning more about this hearing vs. listening idea, I have tried to actually process sounds going off around me all the time. I am not the kind of person that can sit in complete silence. I don't like the quiet floors of libraries at all because even the sound of setting something down is extremely loud. In this kind of setting, you notice noise so much more than, say, a loud coffee shop with music playing and discussions going on around you. Though you may not realize the specific song playing, or know exactly what everyone is talking about, the noise is comforting. I want to be more intentional in my listening, because it is such a huge part of life and sometimes sitting and listening can make the world seem like its moving a little slower. 

In chapter four of the Communications book, they discuss Ingrid Monson and her introduction of the concept of "perceptual agency". Basically, this is the idea that by shifting our focus from one idea, or in this case sound, to another, we can actually have a different experience during the same event. This concept made me think a lot because it is so true. Take a park for example, if you listen to the birds chirping or the sound of nature, your experience will be a lot more peaceful and relaxing. Now take this same park, but you are having a conversation. Your experience would be completely different because you are sitting in this park but you may not have thought about the nature surrounding you at all. 

Learning more about the concept of listening and comprehending makes me want to be more intentional with the sounds surrounding me. I think everyone should take a second and just listen, maybe it will help us move a little slower and take parts of the day in, instead of days going by so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment