Thursday, September 6, 2018

Blog Post 1


In the past three weeks learning about the different types of listening, one example has really stood out to me. Reading Between Speech and Silence: Reflections on Accountability by Ann Russo, it really got me thinking about how we as people like to be heard. Many people feel the need to show “real” engagement such as “talking, speaking out, demonstrating your knowledge, and making yourself known” (Russo 35).  In todays society, people are proving this to be truer than ever.
Social media has played a huge roll in making it easier for people to be heard. It is so easy to log into Twitter, Facebook or Instagram and post your thoughts on any event or problem going on around the world. Sometimes this can have a positive impact and other times it may not. Many people will add in their thoughts and with absolutely no knowledge on the topic, but simply wanted to make a post. Social media has also made it easier for celebrities to speak out and it reach many people all over the world. The problem I see with this is it can reach a huge fan base, which can change the way someone looks at something they feel is ethically wrong or right and change their opinion based on who said it.
I feel like we as Americans, have been shown by so many, that speaking up is the right thing to do. But in Russo’s reading, she speaks of how sometimes you can do more by listening and saying nothing at all. I find this to be very true, I think sometimes staying silent makes a bigger statement than making everyone here the way you feel.
Recently I was going to a barrel racing series and they had moved one of their races last minute without posting it anywhere letting barrel racers know the change from the indoor arena to the outdoor arena. This is a problem for many because running your horse inside or outside makes a huge difference whether you would want to attend the race or not. I got there and saw what they were doing and decided since I had gotten off work early to go to this race and drove over 45 minutes to get there,  I figured I might as well enter. The problem was the outdoor pen hadn’t been worked by a tractor in months and although the ground appeared to look pretty, it was complete hard pan underneath. I had payed my $54 entry fee and began to watch the barrel race. Many horses slipped, and some went completely down. Our horses trust us to give them the best chance possible at success and take care of them. I was almost completely last out in the race and after watching so many horses almost injury themselves, I decided it wasn’t worth it. I unsaddled my horse, loaded up and went home. For me, losing $54 and my time was not worth potentially hurting my horse. Many girls were very upset and took to Facebook and even went to the girl putting on the race expressing their concerns. I knew how I felt about the situation and I feel it was made clear when they called my name to run and I was nowhere to be found. I feel this was my way of speaking out, without saying anything at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment