Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Blog One - August

What stood out to me were the fallacies that were presented. Fallacies happen everyday and there
are hundreds of fallacies out there. I have heard of some of the fallacies before but not all. There were
three that stood out to me during lecture and the reading that I connected with because I see them
happen more often than the other fallacies stated.

First one being slippery slope. In my own words this is the snowball effect, if A happens then B
happens ultimately Z will happen. Connecting it to the outside world for me I know that when I start
my day off on a good note and it continually get better or worse I believe that it just will get better or
worse (under the circumstance). Say you are late for a class one day then the next day you’re later
than the day before some might think the next day you might just not show up. Another fallacy that
caught my attention was Ad Hominem Attack, this fallacy is where a person attacks the other person
and not the argument. I feel like this matters and happens a lot especially in politics and when someone
feels a certain way about something. We just don’t tell the person “Hey I’m using the ad hominem attack
fallacy on you.” Lastly, Red Herring Fallacy is when someone draws attention somewhere else and not
on the topic at hand. An example of this happening is when someone doesn’t want to talk about the
argument, they try to ignore it when in most cases you can’t. All fallacies happen quite often but yet
we don’t realize. This is how people communicate in either a way to help the conversation but in times
it hurts the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment