Tuesday, October 2, 2018

September Blog Post

The book defines semiotics as “the structure of language,” which is such a broad term. By using symbols and their connected meanings, we make sense of the world around us. I chose this topic for my blog post this month because it’s one of the most important aspects of communication, and I feel that I needed more information on the topic. It’s because of this aspect of communication that words and meanings have the potential to be misconstrued, or in some way confusing to the receiver. Which in turn, can hinder the meaning of the message and break the flow of communication.
There are three things to consider when talking about semiotics; the sign, the signified and the signifier. The signifier would be the word, or written representation of the something; for example the word “dog.” The signified would be the meaning we associate with the word. If we’re taking the signifier “dog,” the signified would be the way it acts or looks. So let’s say a wagging tail, a furry body, and a panting mouth. By using these words to describe the “thing,” I could get someone to think of the word dog in their head, and whatever they associate with that without saying the word. And both of these aspects together make the “sign.” And the sign can be referred to as the intended meaning. Although everyone has a different idea of what a dog is to them, (i.e. They do or don’t like dogs, whether or not their family and friends have them, what kind of experiences they’ve had with dogs, ect.) everyone gets the about the same idea in their head when someone brings up a jumping, furry, slobbery ball of energy.

When in a regular conversation, or when conversing over a less controversial topic like dogs, it’s easy for one to be able to get the intended meaning behind the message given. But, it’s when things get more complex where things can go awry. This can relate to conversations about politics, religion, gun rights, and endless more debatable topics. But I think where it applies in my life the most would have to be the workplace. Recently, I’ve had the opportunity to work with a lot of people who aren’t from the US, and who speak different languages. From Chinese, to Spanish, to American Sign Language. Because of the lenses these people are looking through (in this case it being language), it can cause a differentiation in the meaning of words and situations, from how I would perceive them. Things like sarcastic sayings that most people around me know, not all of my coworkers are able to understand. When I do catch myself saying things that maybe don’t have the same connotation to them as it does me, I find myself trying to explain why it is the way it is, and sometimes not even being able to find a good reason. It’s because of the social norms (and language- only being English) that I’ve grown up with that I view things the way I do, and by assuming everyone also views things in this matter can cause a lot of miscommunication.

No comments:

Post a Comment