Monday, October 1, 2018

September Blog Post

Throughout the month of September, the concept that has resonated with me the most has been the stage metaphor. I think the key thing to keep in mind about the stage metaphor is looking at it in its entirety. Within the stage metaphor, there is a ‘front of stage’ and there is a ‘backstage.’ The ‘front of stage’ is the self that one presents to others, one’s best self. The ‘backstage’ is the self that only the closest confidants get to experience. However, the stages have a tendency to be looked at as two separate parts. Nonetheless, both the ‘front of stage’ and the ‘backstage’ coincide with each other and shape who a person truly is.
            With personal self-reflection, I am positive that everyone can agree that they have a ‘front of stage’ and a ‘backstage.’ It is human nature for someone to hide their flaws and weaknesses, thus creating a ‘backstage’ that only a select few get to see or experience. I feel as though this ‘front of stage’ mindset is greatly influenced by today’s day and age. As you scroll through other’s social media feeds, you are seeing their highlights while focusing on your lowlights.
            I have experienced this directly in high school, one of my dearest friends had posted a happy, upbeat selfie. Later that night she called me, expecting to hear about her great day, yet she was sobbing on the other end. Her boyfriend of nearly three years had broken up with her that morning. I had assumed that nothing happened throughout her day, basing my assumptions off of her smiley post. Yet, when she let down the veil of heir ‘front of stage,’ I was able to see what had actually been going on.

            The concept of stage metaphor is a crucial thing to understand in everyday life. The stage metaphor can serve as an explanation to why most people act the way they do. I also feel as though it serves as a beneficial concept to learn about understanding where others come from. Most people see the ‘front of stage,’ yet that cannot forget that there is always a ‘backstage.’

No comments:

Post a Comment