Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Micaela Klocko
COMM 160
Dr. Ivey
2 October 2018
Blog #2
Audre Lorde in her work Uses of Anger says: “difference is that raw and powerful connection from which our personal power is forged”. These words sprung off the page when I read them. I found them to be so very powerful. They paint “difference” in a positive light, in a manner that allows the reader to look at difference as a strength to cultivate one’s unique self. The idea that being “different” or having a unique way of identifying yourself or things is simply a beautiful way to grow in individuality and experience intersectionality. Intersectionality was a word that I had heard throughout college and in different readings but I never really understood its full meaning or the impact that it has on individuals, but on society as a whole as well. In my own words, from what I have learned in class, and various readings, intersectionality is various identities from diverse areas and fields that are present in a movement. To illustrate this, I would like to discuss country singer Kane Brown. I am a huge fan of his music style and the individuality and passion that he puts into every one of his songs. However, Brown is from mixed descent and when I realized I was of course even more infatuated with him. As the stereotypes and media would have us believe, mixed singers should be rap or pop artists, especially in today’s day in age. But Brown went against the grain, he followed his passion and that was country music. He was not afraid of going after his dreams in a field that is highly dominated by white Americans.

      Brown, besides being a fabulous artist (is it obvious that I am a fan yet?) is, as mentioned above, an example of intersectionality because as mixed American singer, who identifies as such, has made a powerful mark in the in the world of county music, or in other words the movement of country music. I believe that the concept of intersectionality is extremely important for individuals to understand because it provides an outward mindset to our society. People can see that just because something has been that way for ages, or these specific denominations, or groups have always been seen in some particular way, whether that be good or bad, it allows us to realize that even though many of us have different beliefs, sexual orientations etc. we are all part of a universal movement whose goal is to live in harmony with one another and have an open heartedness to all those around us. I have attached a link to one of my favorite songs from Brown. I hope you enjoy it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udnGW3E1vxY

No comments:

Post a Comment