Thursday, February 1, 2018

Blog 1: Jaymee-Lee Bulda

The sentence I chose was actually a quote by Don Ihde from the textbook, Communication: A Critical/ Cultural Introduction (2015), written by John T. Warren and Deanna L. Fassett. Chapter 4.

“I do not merely hear with my ears, I hear with my whole body. My ears are at best the focal organs of hearing.” –Don Ihde (pg.67)

The reason why I chose this quote was because it really made me think about how we listen to things, especially things that we find more important than other things. When someone is talking, just because you open your ears to listening to what they are saying doesn’t mean you are actually listening. I love the part in the quote where he says he hears with his whole body. I think it is important to not only listen but to show interest also, to tie yourself into more on what they are saying. For example, I can listen and hear what my friends say when I am busy on my phone or on my laptop. I can hear what they are saying but I am not giving them my full attention because I am pre occupied, I still respond to what they are saying but the interest doesn’t seem like it’s all the way there. If I were to close my laptop or put my phone away and show more interest with my eyes on who is talking, I would be listening and hearing with my whole body.

When we are listening, we shouldn’t think of it as active or passive, we all can listen to something or someone but what are we actually hearing?
Are we choosing to hear what we want or are we digging deeper to hear what they or someone is actually trying to say?

Ingrid Monson (2007) introduced perceptual agency which is the way we think about our sensory experiences shaped by our individual practices. It is defined as the conscious focusing of sensory attention that can yield differing experiences of the same event (P.S37). Perceptual agency is important because it is how we shift our focus as listeners in which it can create different experiences for ourselves.


https://web.stanford.edu/group/brainwaves/2009/MonsonSeeingHearingAgency.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment