Friday, March 31, 2017

March Blog Post- Tomas Idoeta

Tomas Idoeta,

I decided to write this blog post about the most recent reading of Family Bullies, which started of this article with the statement of, "Stories abound about the significance of the family system, what families are and should be, and how family members should interact and feel about each other". And the saying that goes with it, is that we do not get to choose our families. With many of the stories told in this article being about real life situations. I have been blessed enough to be raised by a supportive, and loving family that I was never feeling victimized at any moment throughout my childhood and even now.  This article used autoethnography to critically respond to these questions as they relate to bullying within the family context of two personal narratives. The second narrative when it mentions, " he would want to “wrestle” me. This involved grabbing my arm, throwing me on the floor, bending my arms and legs in hurtful ways, and trying to get me to scream and cry". I thought this was a not the best argument, or stated statement that was attempted for the reader to feel a sort of sympathy for the writer. The personal connection I have towards this certain moment is while growing up I was always getting beat on, or wrestled by my older brother and his friends. I believe it was a teaching moment if anything because it taught me how to be tough and fight my own battles. I knew that they would always have my back when needed, but taught me to be tough. I would never consider it a form of "bullying", it is just good ol fun and tough loving that I believe we all need in life. Reading an alarming statistic, It is estimated that 160,000 children miss school every day due to fear of attack or intimidation by other students. Which is something that needs to be addressed at a much bigger problem that the world we live in today. Bullying is never the right thing to do, and the people who are caught in the act of bullying should be punished. 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment