Wednesday, March 29, 2017

March Blog #3 - Victor Barrios

Victor Barrios
March 28, 2017
Christina Ivey
Comm 160
Blog Post #3
The sentence I choose from “Price of Parenthood” poems was. “Now I just hold her head in our nursery, Nursing her wounds, That she is not the reason we do not have a family, But a bill that thinks two loving people, Make unfit parents.” While reading this poem, I didn't really know what to expect from it. All I knew that it was a poem writing by a woman which I'm always excited about. In this poem the author Amy Arellano talks about every step her and her partner went through to try to make a family. As I went along reading both poem, “The Right to Family” was my favorite one. It just stood out to me, I was really intrigued by the story, my jaw dropping from every sentence.
That specific sentence in the end stood out to me, it made me upset. That this couple is fighting to have family and going through this hardship that this bill will not allow them to adopt. The quote above for some reason I could just feel it and imagine them in a nursery, just thinking about everything they went through. Trying their best to make a family, like any other couple. A lot of adult go through this, but the fact that their in a specific state where they don't allow them to adopt for who they love makes me sick.
I watch this show called “The Fosters” the show is about a biracial lesbian couple who raise children of their own, adopted and fostering some. In the show one of the mother said this “Blood doesn't make a family, Love does.” and I think that so true, no matter who we are. Gay, straight, bisexual, lesbian, as long as you love that child and raise it with all your love. It doesn't matter who raise a child, as long as they have love towards the child.
Another sentence that stood out to me in the poem was “I just know we would make good parents.” Just broke my heart, I'm sure they would have made good parents. Who wouldn't want to be raised by two moms, that the best! To me this poem spoke to me, it made me be more informed on how tough it is to become a parent, to try to raise or adopt a child somewhere where they don't except you. I feel passionate for this issue, and I wish people were more accepting and would allow same sex couple adopt. This couple may have some wounds to heal, but I hope they are still living a great life. Here is a Link from the Huffington Post talking about how same sex couple can adopt in 50 states. And another Link from Life Long Adoptions that have information like statistics and such.



No comments:

Post a Comment