Thursday, March 2, 2017

Blog Post 2


 For the past month of February there have been a few different topics analyzed. The topic of identity was very fascinating. Depending on how we are born our identity is shaped without our knowing. As we get older we learn certain codes and conventions that we are supposed to abide by. Andres Gomez’s Man Up did an excellent job of interrogating they way that men are supposed to act. The first sentence of the second chapter is, “Men are not allowed to be afraid” (pg. 39). Men are supposed to be the brave ones who lead the way no matter what the circumstances. This couldn’t be any farther from the truth.
When Gomez brings up the example of using a night light it reminded me of a time that one of my friends told us he used a night light and I was taken back at first. It was a couple years ago, I think my sophomore year here at Boise State. We were all hanging out one night and he told us that he still used a night light. When he told us all I could think was, “What?!” I couldn’t wrap my head around it at first. I didn’t think any less of him or judge him, but I just didn’t really understand it. For most of us we had a night light when we were younger, but eventually grew out of them. When I was younger I would leave the hallway light on and crack my door open to let in some light. I don’t ever remember having the moment that Gomez talks about thinking that men don’t need the light on. I just started to get annoyed of the light eventually so I stopped leaving the light on and closed my door. When he finally told us I was more shocked that he slept with a light on for the fact that he left the light on. For me it is really annoying and distracting.
Since he decided to tell us that he slept with light on it changed how I viewed him. His identity from my perspective has changed. Whenever I see him now I always think to myself that he sleeps with the light on. It isn’t a bad thing. It is just what makes him, him. Recently I learned that he no longer sleeps with the light on anymore so his identity has changed again. Identity is one of those aspects that make up a person that are extremely interesting. We can be who ever we want to and with social media we are gaining more control of shaping our identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment