Thursday, March 2, 2017

February Blog Post

This week I was fascinated by the readings and discussion, in particular the piece Master's Tools and Uses of Anger by Audre Lorde. I think that the most encompassing quote that I puled from the text was “Without community there is no liberation, only the most vulnerable and temporary armistice between an individual and her oppression” I feel as though this small blurb strongly demonstrates what is happening in our community and society right now. I couldn't help but think about the women's marches that have been taking place all over the United States. When I read just the first few lines of this sentence I was shocked by how connected I felt to the statement. Just the simple statement that without communities there is no room for liberation, I think about the Boise State community that I call home. This community that is changing, but at the same time as traditional as it has always been, is grasping for liberation and change. When I look at the upcoming ASBSU elections I look to see what is going to make the biggest change or positive impact on this campus. 
I cant help but think about the women’s marches that happened all around the U.S. and especially the march that took place here in Boise, Idaho. I believe that these positive and revolutionary changes are pushing the boundaries of liberation. People are being liberated and liberating themselves and they can’t come close to doing this without the support of a community. This quote I found on a healthy living site stated that “Community is about growing with others” , and I couldn't agree more that it is about growing individually and growing with others, pulling strengths together to find liberation and strength in women’s pride.

I then looked into finding the meaning behind the word armistice, which was a word that I had not engaged in before. When I looked online, I found that it meant a “truce” and it held so much more power with me. I found that to me it meant a woman that does not liberate herself or allow herself to be liberated is her own worst oppression. If it is reachable all women should find liberation in themselves and in the communities around them to achieve the ultimate liberation and strength. I think that this ever changing world makes us as women feel that we are alone, but just simply looking to community for strength and love can create the ultimate power and stability.

No comments:

Post a Comment