Thursday, November 2, 2017

"White Picket Fence" Blog Post #3


“Folk wisdom often suggests that families are sacred to persons’ lives. Stories abound about the significance of the family system, what families are and should be, and how family members should interact and feel about each other.”

The discussion in class and the readings surrounding family opened my eyes in a way where I was able to understand that most families have their problems. Growing up, I never had a family of my own and the little interactions that I did have with my family were very negative. I viewed nearly all families as the “White Picket Fence” family as described in class. Growing up, I thought that the ideal family consists of two children, two parents, and a dog that lived in a nice neighborhood where they always got along. This was always my perception because the little family that I did had taught me that blood doesn’t mean that you’re family. I always wanted a “White Picket Fence” family.

My thoughts and opinions on families altered in our class discussion. As we broke down the “Family Bullies” article by Barry and Adams I was able to understand that most families have their internal struggles and don’t live by this “White Picket Fence” idea that I had in my head. We began to talk about scapegoats in our families and how that is a social norm. Soon nearly everyone on my group was able to relate and discuss how they had a family member that was an outcast. My idea of a “perfect” family was destroyed in seconds because I was able to learn from my classmates that perfect families don’t exist. Looking at families through a critical lense helped me alter my perception.

51ebb0e2-e808-41da-b64b-3c63b97ed3ae.jpgAfter thinking about this discussion I applied my learnings to the television show The Fosters. This show is about two loving partners who have children from their previous relationships, a set of twins they adopted, and a girl named Callie who they are fostering. In the first episode we quickly learn that Callie is the outcast in the family. She is beat up, irritable, and views the Fosters as a “White Picket Fence” family. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr2szCOl3D4 She doesn’t get along that great with anyone in the family and is constantly trying to find ways to run away. I think a part of her enjoys being the outcast because this perception of the family that she has, is not something that she wants to associate herself with.

Three long seasons later, we find the Fosters accepting her for who she is and supporting her decisions to fight for what is right. Callie goes through a number of trials and gives the Fosters many reasons on why they should put her back into the foster care system and not adopt her. The Fosters don’t give up on their outcast foster daughter and provide her with love and attention that she needs to feel truly part of their family. With time Callie sees the many things that the Foster have done for her and begins wanting to be a member of their family. She stops viewing them as a “White Picket Fence” family and starts viewing them as a family with their own struggles who are willing to work through them together. She is eventually adopted and we can see in this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1igxr2hLA5o the happiness she is feeling to officially be a Foster.

I identify with Callie in many ways. We have this perception of families that make us believe that we don’t ever want one. They are perfect and we just wouldn’t fit in. This is, until our perception is challenged by the people around us to make us believe that families are important and nowhere near perfect. This folk wisdom idea is quickly shot down when the people around us begin sharing their stories about their families.




Keith Berry & Tony E. Adams (2016) Family Bullies, Journal of Family Communication, 16:1, 51-63, DOI: 10.1080/15267431.2015.1111217


No comments:

Post a Comment