Thursday, November 2, 2017

Blog Post 3

Natalie Cotelos
Blog Post 3

The thing that stuck out the most to me this previous month was the Poetry Bombing clip we watched in class. The metaphor behind the "bombings" struck a chord with me. I am a very open minded person, I don't have hate towards any group, type of person, or anything, so for me, to live in a world where I constantly have this fear of being attacked for no reason in the back of my mind is absolutely insane. The number one concern for young people in our society is the fear of terrorism, (I think it was this class that we discussed this) and it honestly makes me a little afraid to travel, gather in large spaces, ect. I still do these things, but when I'm out, I can't help but think "what would I do if something happened"? I can't even begin to imagine how people who identify with a different race, gender, or sexual orientation that is a "minority" in our country must feel. I hope that through educating the youth that we are able to teach them that everyone is an equal, no matter who or what they identify as. Another thing I found incredibly interesting was how Kendrick Lamar visited the school that critically looked at the lyrics of his songs. I hope that through different forms of communication, such as Kendirick's music, people are able to learn something about a different group of people, and see them in a more positive light. I would hope that people realize that even though there are different sexual orientations, races, religions, and so on, that at the end of the day, we're all just people. We're made up of the same stuff. We shouldn't divide ourselves based on such minuscule details, because at the end of the day, all we really have is each other.  

No comments:

Post a Comment