Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Blog Post 3

Perhaps because I just read this piece in preparation for our class last evening 10/31, but Family Bullies and the insight into how relationships affect culture was very fascinating and hard hitting. Every family has some sort of a bully and I feel that it is due in large part to our taking for granted of those that we love and co-mingle with on a daily basis. It isn't always intentional, but it exists. Most family dynamics are chaotic and wonderful and hurtful, all rolled into one lump, which we all desperately try to come out of still loving those around us that share genetics. As I read through the piece and 'felt' the disconnect of the family due to the bullying of Lily. Additionally, I felt aligned with Victoria as she reflected on her reaction choices to Lily and how that was a form of bullying itself.
I can also acknowledge the way my reaction to Lily was a form of bullying [.......] Where I could have been the friend she needed, I chose to isolate her. I chose to alienate her out of anger, out of spite and I gave myself the satisfaction of hurting her. In many ways, my behavior was a contributing source to her chaos. I was another voice telling her she was inadequate, she was a failure, and she didn't belong.
 This is just so powerful to me. We've all had people around us that bully us, whether within our families, or at work, or with our friends. Yet, here, you find someone looking within to see that perhaps she could have handled the negative actions towards her differently. This is certainly not to say that it was in anyway her fault, but it is an awesome perspective that I will use in my personal life.

From a societal perspective, relationships do form our culture. We are a product of them and how we learn to respond, treat others, carry ourselves all projects out into our community. Taking a small moment, as Victoria did in her adult reflection of her childhood and the choices she made, would be such an incredible way to begin to become a better person, having a mindfulness of not only others, but most importantly of ourselves.

Again, this was such an incredibly impactful read for me in my personal life and I'm grateful that it was part of this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment