Tuesday, October 31, 2017

October Blog Post

Out of all the materials and text we read for the month of October, the piece that stuck with me the most was How Poetry Can Fight Gender Inequality by Maria Caspani. I found this piece to be the one that resonated with me most and caught my interest. The sentence that stuck out to me most was quoted by the author, "“My hope every time I write and perform is to build momentum to get people to push for change". I picked this sentence because I feel like it not only related to the topic for class that week and connected to the communications aspect of it, but also because that thought is something that should be more common in times like these. Although it does not necessarily change one of my perceptions, I feel it is something I agree with and also gives me a want to expand on that that and look at it in different ways.  It makes me think about all the different things that people do to try and make a change with something that they believe in while also making it an art form.
     It also tied into the other reading we had that week, Amy Arellano's World Wielding Womb: Using the Body to Fight the War on Women. The themes and concepts become even more clear for that particular week after reading those two articles back to back. I enjoyed the theme of that week a lot so that could also be another reason I chose to blog about that particular sentence. So it does not change my mindset, but simply expanded it. Caspani follows the story of a particular man and how he aims to change some viewpoints. This is a very powerful goal, especially coming from a man. Carlos Gomez, (the man mentioned previously), felt "constrained" in society because of the way masculinity is pushed on men, and the stereotypical traits that often are expected of men. He began to voice his opinions and advocate for the women that are abused by men. This is something I feel that is becoming more talked about nowadays, but Gomez has been advocating for women for over a decade, regardless of how other people felt about his actions at the time. Overall, the piece is powerful and gives you a sense of hope. The article was extremely intriguing to me and it was extremely interesting to see a mans viewpoint in advocating for women.

No comments:

Post a Comment