Tuesday, October 31, 2017

blog 3

Erik Jones
10/31/17
Blog 3
Prof. Ivey

“We define our Identity always in dialogue with, sometimes in struggle against, the things our significant others want to see in us. Even after we outgrow some of these others-our parents, for instance- and they disappear from our lives, the conversation with them continues within us as long as we live.” -Charles Taylor

            This was a great quote that stood out to me for many reasons. This is a longer quote than usual, so it took me a while to break it down and put it into my own words. With Identity I personal think there are so many aspects and influences that we have as children growing up, then later changing those personal ideals with the sense of maturing and being able to think on our own. As a young child a person does not have his own identity. Young children are heavily influenced by their parents. As a young child you basically are a mini form of the type of teachings and idealism that your parents have pawned off on you. These attributes that contribute to the molding and forming of children all come from the culture that the parents teach the young, either by accident or on purpose. As children start to reach middle school and some even before that, children start to begin forming their own personal identity. This is a natural form of advancement that takes time with some kids, but others find their identity early in life. My parents were influential when I was young, but what they told me and taught me quickly faded to me. For example, When I was young my parents had me playing the Piano, and I didn’t think anything of it and enjoyed it. One day in class a kid said Pianos are for girls, and that sense of prejudice stuck with me, and I formed this identity towards piano players that they should only be girls. Personally, this quote has me thinking about forming Identities with the words spoken around your, but personally I feel as a child you are more influenced by your peers. As humans mature and start getting into high school, I think that identities change the most. Kids start forming their own personal beliefs from the culture on television and the sense of fitting in in high school. My parents have taught me a lot that will stick with me and continue to influence me as a person today. Not everything they say, or believe is my exact views, I’ve mature and have found who I am as a person, but the things they have said has definitely impacted me for some parts. When the quote says sometimes in struggle against, the things our significant others want us to see. This to me sounds like some things that parents dont want their kids to hear or say, they will keep hidden and not show their young. People will develop a sense of identity no matter what and how a person views them self is very important. I believe that at a young age parents should be a part of a child's identity, but when they get older and begin to have their own beliefs and personally identity the parents should let the kids be who they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment