Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Blog Post 3- Molly Mundell

Molly Mundell
COMM160
“Where bullying stripped me of my own sense of identity, forgiveness gave me the strength to heal from the past hurt. [Forgiveness] also gave me the ability to see that she and the other bullies I have encountered are not monsters, but flawed humans in need of grace from the ones they hurt.”
This statement comes from Victoria, who shares her story of her estranged relationship with her sister, Lily. For years, Victoria carried the burden of resentment towards her sister for the way she had treated her and other family members throughout her childhood. After struggling with the pain she had experienced for so many years, her and Lily had a talk in their home kitchen on the night of Victoria’s graduation. They have an open and honest conversation about the conflict between them that has shoved a wedge between them. They both admit that their relationship has been terrible and even share a few laughs. I believe that this interaction allowed for Victoria to experience some closure on this traumatizing relationship between them and gave her the ability to analyze her role in the relationship and how she could have treated Lily differently. Understandably, she distanced herself from the negativity that came with her sister’s presence but in turn, this divide was something that fueled Lily’s anger and this isolation made the problem even worse. Victoria doesn’t necessarily regret the way she treated Lily but definitely understands that she could’ve handled the situation better and been Lily’s friend and tried to understand where she was coming from.
Experiencing this kind of conflict so early on in life is common for most of us. A majority of people experience bullying one time or another in their life. I have experienced bullying, not from my peers but from my family, similarly to Victoria and Tony. I didn’t realize until I read this journal that I had in fact experienced bullying. I didn’t know that bullying could take form in familial relationships. I always considered the definition of bullying to be in the context of children in school. I wasn’t bullied in any way that was traumatizing in school, but looking back on my past with a new found understanding of what bullying is, I can see that I have dealt with my fair share of experiences that could be categorized as bullying from my experiences with family. It really opened my mind to why I am the way I am today from my past experiences of being scrutinized and teased for everything about myself and how I still have feelings of shame surrounding my sexuality because of how my family has chosen to ignore it or tease me for it. This journal has given me a lot to process about my past, but I feel like I have recovered from most of the trauma I experienced in the past regarding my family and their scrutiny towards me. So I’m good.
            “The other bullies I have encountered are not monsters, but flawed humans in need of grace from the ones they hurt.” This statement was particularly powerful to me. It is something that I learned a long time ago but I always could use a reminder of. Forgiveness really is the thing that gives us power over situations that have taken it away from us. Every human being has a mind and feelings, no matter how hard they try to suppress them. And when we try to understand the thoughts behind one’s actions, especially harmful actions or words, we see that they are hurting inside. They way that they treat others is usually how they treat themselves and how they value themselves. It’s really sad. Being a victim of bullying, it is difficult to humanize your bullies because you see them as some heartless monster, but when you come to terms with the reality that they are also victims of bullying themselves, you can kind of see where they are coming from and feel bad for them.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment