Tuesday, February 28, 2017

February Blog Post

February Blog Post


Out of all the readings so far my favorite is Fear by, Andres Gomez. I enjoyed reading this because it is very relevant in society today. This reading made me realize that in this course there are many different readings but in some way all relate back to one another. A quote that stood out to me was on the last page of the reading. Gomez says “Fear is what makes us great. It’s what makes us commit to the leap and dive in, full-bodied, and risk and dig and push.” This quote stood out to me because it is very true that when you face your fears you become a better and greater person than before. I believe life is all about facing your fears and growing as a person. If we all just sat around and kept living in fear, we would never progress or grow in life.
Personally I can relate to this fear, when I needed to make a decision about going to college. I knew I wanted to go somewhere away from home and I really liked Boise State even though it is very different from my home town in California. I decided in order for me to get out of my comfort zone and have new experiences on my own, I would need to face my fear of living on my own, and being a 16-hour car ride away from home. Although Andres Gomez talks about many different challenges some I cannot relate to, I think everyone can relate to over coming their fears.
When I first read this article it made me think about a video I had seen on Facebook. The video was a campaign in Australia to bring awareness to the number of men committing suicide. The title of the video is “It takes balls to cry” and it shows a couple different aged men, young and old crying on camera. The point it makes it that men are told to “man up” or “stop crying” and to never show their emotions leading them to bottle it all up inside instead of talking it out. I think this has a lot of relevance to the article Fear because Andres himself recalls being told to “man up” and not be afraid of anything because fear and emotions are weakness. In reality fear is also an emotion that shouldn’t have to be kept inside just because you’re a man.


No comments:

Post a Comment