Tuesday, February 28, 2017

FEB BLOG POST!

In the month of February, this class has truly interested me in so many ways, from seeing the differences in communication between cultures to the positionality impact on communication in culture. Too me though, the part that stood out the most was what we went over today in class, which was Lorde's Writing Masters Tools and Uses of Anger.
           I found Lorde's writing so interesting because she truly spoke her mind, her writing was very straight forward and to the point, but that’s why I enjoyed it. One line I really like was, “My response to racism is anger” (131). This sentence is yet so simple and short but yet so powerful. Lorde had this bug that was eating away at her in the inside, she had to stand up for what she believed even in the toughest circumstances. Her anger fueled her passion and desire to push forward and stand up for far much more than herself, it was for the whole African American population who had felt the pain of this terror.

Lorde was not only black but she was also lesbian and a feminist. The ball was not in her court but she had he sights set for what she wanted. In one letter Lorde received a woman wrote, “Because you are Black and Lesbian, you seem to speak with the moral authority of suffering” (132). Lorde responded with, “Yes, I am Black and Lesbian, and what you hear in my voice is fury, not suffering. Anger, not moral authority. There is difference” (132). What she means by this response is that she is not high on the mountain preaching down to those around her, but she is a member of the crowd with a loud and booming voice. I think this statement is a perfect representation of Lorde and her efforts for standing up for what she believed in. She was not a held back and a timid character, she was fierce and aggressive in her steps towards her goals. She channeled her anger like a furnish channels fire. Lorde to me stood out,  because I got that sense of her being a powerful and impactful person, that’s why this was no doubt my favorite topic we as a class explored.

No comments:

Post a Comment