Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Blog 1- Josh Schindler

               Growing up as a super energetic kid not being able to sit still, my mom always focused on the aspect of focusing and listening. According to Chapter 4, “Compassionate Critical Listening”, Chris Rea states listening takes active attention and focus. I completely agree with this because listening takes effort and takes energy in my opinion. Every kid has shaken their head or have mumbled yes to the parents when they were trying to tell them something. This is because they were hearing their parents but technically not listening. So, in the end the kid usually does not recall much of the conversation later. To be an active lister you must be engaged and think critically about what the person you are talking about is saying. Not only is it respectful to listen to somebody when they talk, you could even get something positive out of each experience. For example, I was talking to somebody I usually see around at the gym and most of the time I don’t truly listen because I personally saw this guy as a so called, “talker”, but after listening and engaging in a conversation, I learn a lot about this guy and realized we truly had a lot in common. Now till this day this guy is not only a friend, but a great mentor to myself. I think the power of listening is profound, I’m happy my mother worked hard with me all those years, because it has truly helped me to be successful and must importantly, it has allowed me to become a caring and genuine person.
            Chris Rea states that are ability to listen isn’t something we just develop it’s a result of our cultural and social surroundings. I could see this playing a powerful affect in our human development. I’m a strong believer in what you know is what you do, in other words, the way you were raised or the experiences in your past have shaped who you are today. I think this is also true for listening because if anyone grew up in an environment where good communication skills such as listening was practiced, chances are you will grow up to have good listening skills.

            Chris Rea also says you use “…various modes of listening for various listening situations.” A good listener can adapt to the circumstances he is put into. No two situations you encounter are completely the same you must adjust and change for the given situation. For example, being in a relationship calls on different listening skills than if you hanging out with some friends. You use different strategies in both, in a relationship you might be more open and caring but with your friends you might be more care free or in a way not as serious. Listening I have found out is so much more complex than I have ever realized, there are many aspects that come along with it. Yet, listening is crucial to communication and is truly a vital part of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment