Thursday, February 2, 2017

Blog Post #1

Compassionate critical listening is a topic that has stuck with me thus far. Communication: A Critical/Cultural Introduction, written by John T. Warren and Deanna L. Fasset describes compassionate critical listening as, “a mode of engagement with a speaker that is reflective of the conditions that affect our ability to listen, even when we make an honest and generous effort to hear others in their true complexity” (50). This is a branch of listening that individuals have to consciously engage in with no pre conceived concrete thoughts and ideas. When you are a compassionate critical listener you must have the desire to listen and understand the person who is conversing with you.  

I can relate compassionate critical listening to politics, especially today. If everyone who discussed politics approached the conversation or discussion as a compassionate critical listener less problems and disagreements would erupt. This implies having an open mind and being willing to understand the different viewpoints of others. It is important that differing people practice compassionate critical listening in order to better communicate and hopefully understand each other better. There is a large level of respect that must be given to both parties in order to have a successful conversation. This doesn’t mean individuals have to necessarily agree, but having an open viewpoint allows more conversation and less scrutiny.


After learning about this topic in class I have noticed that I am a lot more conscious when it comes to listening. I was having a discussion with my roommate about the pros and cons of social media the other day. There were times when I would want to blurt out my opinion or shut down what she was saying, but then I would stop myself and instead try to see the situation from that lens. This was me practicing compassionate critical listening, from this conversation I was able to broaden my viewpoints and see social media from a different angle. If  individuals practice this idea we would be able to better understand people and different perspectives in this diverse world.

No comments:

Post a Comment