Tuesday, February 28, 2017

February Blog #2 - Victor Barrios

Victor Barrios
Christina Ivey
Communications 160
28 February 2017
Blog Post #2
The sentence I chose from “Fear: Beneath the Facade” chapter was. “Men are not allowed to be afraid. Or we have to qualify it by saying we were just “startled for a second,” but never afraid.” While reading the very first sentence of this chapter starting with how men are not allowed to be afraid, it made me mad at the very first start. It was the gender equality in me kicking in when I saw that. But later reading Andres Gomez chapter about fear made me understand more about what he was talking about. To be honest I understood what he was talking about. Growing up as a Mexican-American myself.
Growing up in my culture there was always theses role, that I needed to follow. I had to be a “man” at a very young age, I had to do sport, I had to play with cars, I had to be into this and I shouldn't cry because I'm a man. Luckily at young age I decided to rebel against those specific roles, but it was still in the back of mind as kid. I always had those fear just like Gomez of “not being man enough” the fear of not living up to my mother and father expectation was hard on me. Growing up of not doing what my gender role is suppose to do has been great. I have been trying to break those gender barriers with my parents and people around me. By saying boys or men can have feeling, that we all don't have to follow our culture by being that stereotypical man, who is strong and dose manly things. Same goes for women, that they don't have to be nice and poise women, but that they can also be strong and hardworking like anybody else.   

Gomez stated that “fear is the fuel behind everything great that I have ever done.” To me this quote tells me that although having the fear of not living up to the expectation of how your specific gender is suppose to act, those fear fuel you to break the barrier. And make you become the person you want to be. To turn those fear into braveness. Which is something I have been through myself, my fears help me do better and become the person I want to be, not what my parents or society want me to be. But who I want see or be myself growing up as a Mexican-American feminist man. Here is a Link of Carlos Andres Gomez the author of this chapter, speaking at a poetry slam about the stereotypical of how a Hispanic should look like. It was interesting to see not just him talking about gender role like in this chapter but also the Hispanic/Latino roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment