Thursday, December 1, 2016

November post - Hobby Aljohar

My favorite reading this month is “So You Call Yourself an Ally: 10 Things All ‘Allies’ Need to Know.”, by Jamie Utt. One of the most powerful lines for me is, tip nine; “When Criticized or Called Out, Allies Listen, Apologize, Act Accountably, and Act Differently Going Forward.”.

I think that this advice is so important, so many “allies” argue, as Utt demonstrated earlier in the piece, about how they aren’t really racist, or how it’s okay because, or to lay off, etc. But when someone feels oppression all day every day, each micro-aggression is important, maybe not to the *eye-roll, self -ally, but to the person who has to endure endless oppression, it is a big deal. And if one identifies as an ally, then said person should be doing their damnedest, not only to not add to that stress, but to fight oppression as well.

The fact that Utt is a white man, and I would guess cys and possibly straight, as well as able-bodied, and writing this piece is interesting to me. Partially because he is the embodiment of privilege, writing about being an ally, there is some irony here. But also, this information sadly has to come from a privileged mouth in order for so called “allies” to hear it, rather than to dismiss it; as allies often do, when criticism comes from those who they are supposed to be hearing.

Back home, in Saudi I am the one who holds privilege.  I am male, and Sunni Muslim, I come from a two parent home, I do not engage in same sex relations, and my body is able. I see oppression in Saudi every day, and I never imagined that someday I would be on the other end. Here in America, yes I am a man, and my body is still able, but I’m also Arab, I’m also not a Christian, whether I choose to strictly practice Islam or not; the way I am perceived does not change.
I have had to adjust, to learn and to unlearn. I have had to educate myself, and I am not perfect in my new role, but I am trying.
Here, I am treated differently, not by everybody, but by many, strangers especially. And I do have “ally” friends, who I hear say racist things, and who also get very defensive when called on it. It’s exhausting having to point out each and every micro-aggression, (check out; "I Recorded The Racist Things People Said & Did To Me For 2 Weeks.” By Jacobsen). Everyday Feminism and sometimes feels as if it is not worth the fight, but, the status quo will never change, unless we never quit fighting.








Works Cited:

Utt, Jamie. "So You Call Yourself an Ally: 10 Things All 'Allies' Need to Know." Everyday Feminism. N.p., 01 July 2014. Web. 01 Dec. 2016.

Jacobsen, Margaret E. "I Recorded The Racist Things People Said & Did To Me For 2 Weeks." Romper. N.p., 19 Dec. 2015. Web. 01 Dec. 2016.
/.latest_citation_text


No comments:

Post a Comment