Thursday, December 1, 2016

November Blog- Jake Knight


 

 
Waste of Time
  
            Time is money.  We’ve all heard the saying many times and in North America this is a reality day in and day out.    Time tends to be viewed as a commodity in North America, something valuable that must be well used and not “wasted.”  This sentence jumped out at me while reading Chapter 5: Cross-Cultural Diversity.  Without even knowing this unspoken notion, I’ve been a participant in equating working time with success since I was a kid. 
            Time has never been on my side.  I’ve been trying to create, practice, develop, and better myself with very little rest.  There has always been a goal set out before me…in elementary years I pursued play with a vengeance.  There was never enough time and to sit idly was the worst kind of punishment.  “Relax” or “take a break and read” would only take away from the time I had designated to perfecting my throws, sinking my shots, and mastering a trick.  As I entered into middle school, dreams of becoming a professional athlete enticed me even more to never stop practicing and continue with reckless abandon toward that goal.  As high school came and went, holidays were not designed for indulging in food and lounging around…they were perfect days to press ahead of others by pulling the sled in the field nearby or lifting weights to better myself.  Time was my motivator and my enemy at the same time.
            All of that productive time led to an achievement of playing at the next level.  I finally made it.  I made it to the next level of time scheduling and consumption.  In order to be the best at this level, every day became dominated by time in the gym, time in the classroom, time in the training room, time at the dining table and time on the practice field.  All pieces of the productive puzzle were scheduled to a science, so as not to waste a minute.  The harder you work, the more hours invested the better you become, and in turn it may produce more money.  This is the American dream. 
On the flip side, I've never known how to relax.  I don’t really know how to do nothing.  I’ve heard about other cultures that value their relaxation, mental health, and physical health above productivity and goal-attainment.  They are known to be happier, healthier, and appreciate and enjoy relationships.  There is an appeal there.  I am concerned about where I am going and the long term effects on my health.  Youth can withstand almost anything, but I know this pace cannot be upheld long term.  I’ve seen and heard from older generations the saying “money can’t buy time” and as I mature this becomes more applicable and desirable to me.

How Different Cultures Understand Time:

           
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment