Thursday, December 1, 2016

November Blog Post

            This month, after the election, our class discussed being an ally. We specifically talked about how it was important to think about the reasons why we choose to be allies and how we can be supportive. This was a very interesting class period because it was right after Donald Trump was elected into office, which had created a sense of fear in many people. It was at this time when I felt being an ally was the most important thing that I could do. As a white person that comes from a upper-middle class family, I can’t say I am effected by Trump’s election as much as others.

            But as a woman, I absolutely am.

            Amy Arellano’s piece we read about advocacy really struck a chord with me. She used her poetry in a way to show how the “war on women” truly affected women of different backgrounds. After reading her work, I realized how Trump’s presidency could affect me as a woman. I hope to be a great ally for people of color and those in the LGBTQ+ community, but as for women, I hope to be a great advocate. The difference between these two positions is membership, but I feel they are both equally as important to incite social change among our peers.

            Hillary Clinton was not going to end racism or sexism. Trump may be used as a symbol for these sexist and racist comments that are commonly made by people on the internet and in person, but true change comes from everyone who is apart of society. No one president is going to be able to change our society, so I think that having this discussion about what it means to be an advocate and an ally is really important. Realizing that the words and actions we choose to do in our everyday lives are what determine the kind of society we live in is crucial for having actual change. The silver lining in this controversial time is that Trump’s election has opened up many similar conversations about allies and advocates. While many see his election as the end of basic human rights for certain members of society, I see it as an opportunity for those who feel oppressed to start the serious conversation on change – real change. It is clear how far our society has come, but many keep saying that Trump’s election has set us back. I think that it is just another chance for us to break the next glass ceiling that is put in our way.


            Whether someone is an ally or an advocate, they have important roles in the lives of those who are scared for the next four years in this country. Making sure that you are acting correctly as an ally is also extremely important, because you don’t want to be helping for the wrong reasons. Personally, I think the most important thing we talked about on that day in class, was self-care. Yes, being an advocate for your connection to the injustice is important, and being a supportive ally is important, but, as Christina said in class, “if you aren’t taking care of yourself, you cannot take care of someone else.” I think this was the most important sentence that was spoken all semester, and it really stuck with me. I plan on using this sentence throughout my life, whether I’m talking to my friends, family, or even to myself. It is so important to take care of yourself before you become the ally you desire to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment