Thursday, December 1, 2016

November Blog Post

"As someone striving to be an ally, the most important thing we can do is listen to as many voices of those we’re allying ourselves with as possible." This was a line from 'So You Call Yourself an Ally' an article written by Jamie Utt. This line stood out to me in particular as someone who does tend to identify themselves as an ally. Though I have figured out since having aligned myself with trying to assist in the gaining of rights with in the LGBTQ+ community not to always just announce that I'm an ally. Rather I try to show it through supporting others, and trying to speak from a place of privilege on their behalf. This line made me think about all those close to me, and those who have come out to me and told me their problems they face on the daily. While this is something I've figured out more and more as I've talked with, listened to, and befriended more people in the LGBT community, it's always something good to be reminded of. I can't know what so many of these people go through on a daily basis, especially those who may not have come out on their own terms. But I can try and understand and try my best to let them have the power to speak, even if it is only to me. One of the biggest things I can think of now towards being an ally, is being present at this juncture in America. A lot of hate has been moved to the forefront due to the recent outcome of the 2016 elections. And I know so many of my friends who beyond being terrified for what might happen to the country, they are also terrified for their own well being. Since the results came through with Trump becoming President Elect, there has been countless hate crimes justified that "It's okay now, because Trump is president." This is a terrible mindset America has gone into. The reason for this, I believe, is due to people who had this hatred already stirring in them finally being reaffirmed and shown to be "okay" on a national scale. Since the elections there have been countless protests throughout the country, even here in Boise. My friend Monty, similar to me in being white, straight, cis-gendered male, organized one of these protests via Facebook, and got me to aid in getting it all together. The protest was pretty successful, in that it remained peaceful, got news coverage, had massive attendance, and got the message we were trying to deliver across. Many people who showed up voiced their grievances, by speaking on the Capital Building's steps, with speeches being closed out by Monty and me. What I said I think really shows what I believe it means to be an ally, and I stand by. I am a white, cis-gendered, straight-appearing male, and I may not know what it is like to deal with all these hardships firsthand, but I intend to use my voice for those that cannot, and use my privilege to help make a difference. While there is all this hate floating around, we need people to spread love, and try and show that we do not stand for what is happening at present. While things are tough, what the line from the article said reigns true, and now more than ever it is important to listen to those suffering and in pain from the way things currently are more than ever. Especially if we want to make change.

https://www.facebook.com/events/612665402253397/

https://www.splcenter.org/20161129/ten-days-after-harassment-and-intimidation-aftermath-election

http://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2016/11/30/report-trumps-election-led-to-a-surge-in-hate-crime-infographic/#7589c9565f0d 

No comments:

Post a Comment