Monday, January 29, 2018

Blog #1


The sentence that stood out the most to me with the most intention and purpose was from the Between Speech and Silence reading. Russo claimed, “These transformational moments in my life have mostly occurred when I am intentional about how much space I take up and how much space I give to listening; when I stop myself from thinking only about what I have to say, or assuming that what’s most important in this moment is for me to reveal myself as knowledgeable.” I chose this sentence because I feel that any person will do this for their whole life until they become fully aware of what it is they’re depriving themselves from. If someone is so deeply rooted in a biased and opinionated attitude, they’ll never be able to learn from what happens in their life and see what an open mind is capable of.

                I feel that I fell victim to this until very recently. I would argue topics that I knew little about, but because of my own personal beliefs and evidence I thought I must have been right. It would cause increasing tension while both sides would become frustrated as each of us would only focus on trying to get our own points across. There was no real listening or mindfulness in this argument, just the simple act of hearing and defensive attitudes. This was not a productive conflict and each of us walked away with nothing but frustration and anger.

It didn’t take very long into my first communication class to realize this is not the way I want to go about living life. I don’t want people to think I’m a frustrating person to have a conversation with and I don’t want to make myself believe I already know everything there is to know. I want to listen with curiosity, I want to understand other point of views, and I want to understand why certain people think the way they do. I can have my own opinions and I can express those opinions, but there is no reason everyone in the world has to agree with me. While doing the string web activity in class, I was able to wait patiently while everyone got their thoughts out and I was also able to be ok with the fact that they had differing beliefs from myself. We didn’t need to believe the same things in order to be productive and understanding as a group, although in some occasions it may help.

In a blog I found, Quentin Schultze suggests listening like I child. Everyone can accept the fact that a child still has a lot to learn in their life and that they want to learn these things. Children listen with wonder and pure intentions of actually understanding what it is you’re telling them. If we all listened with the wonder and curiosity of a child, we might just learn the amazing things the people around us have to share.

In a quote by Roy T. Bennett he says, ““Listen with curiosity. Speak with honesty. Act with integrity. The greatest problem with communication is we don’t listen to understand. We listen to reply. When we listen with curiosity, we don’t listen with the intent to reply. We listen for what’s behind the words.” I think this quote sums up my whole point of this blog. We should listen with curiosity and listen to understand rather than just reply.





           https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/listening

No comments:

Post a Comment