Thursday, October 27, 2016

October Blog Post

"That forgot the pre-suffrage adage; That women are to be seen and not heard" a line from "Word Wielding Womb: In Response to Comments Concerning “Legitimate Rape” by Amy Arellano. This is only a small part to a great piece, but it is the last line of the poem, and in my opinion, the most powerful. If we look at this in terms of advocacy we see a direct like to women's rights, which she hits on through out her piece. I feel that she is saying rape, and how society deals with it, is very similar to what they said back when women were not somewhat equal to how they are now, by saying women are to be seen not heard. So when a woman is raped, nobody wants to here about it, and that it is her problem to deal with in quite on her own.

I have an overwhelming amount of girls that are my friends versus boys. Which is not very typical for a stereotypical twenty year old boy, so it scares me to think that if this were to happen to one of my friends, nobody would be there for her. I think that advocating for rape in this culture is something that people don't want to talk about because they don't want to think about something so terrible, because we would much rather let rape happen, then be bothered to talk about it.

We need to continue to push for people to advocate for women's rights, because women shouldn't feel oppressed just because of who they are. Rape is a scary topic, but I would say even scarier than rape, is the shame we give the victims of the act.


No comments:

Post a Comment