Thursday, October 27, 2016

Oct Blog Post


Carli Testerman
Chrisitina Ivey
Tuesday/Thursday 9:00
October 26, 2016
Most Important Line
            “I had been taught to stand up for what I believed was right, to be brave and courageous(196).” Bell Hooks wrote about this lesson in her book, Outlaw Culture, it is a lesson my grandmother has taught me since I was a little girl. My grandmother always wanted me to have a voice, to make a difference in the world around me. She believed that everyone had a purpose and in order to find mine I had to be strong and do what was right in my life. Because of this, I have grown up secure in my beliefs and proud to stay true to them. It is a lesson I intend to teach to my children one day because it will give them confidence to communicate with the world.
            A way to be courageous and vocal about your views is through media. In class we have discussed the way media plays a role in communicating ideas to the masses, this can be used for good and bad. Some people take advantage of how widespread social media and media outlets are and use them to push their beliefs onto others and put people down for disagreeing with them. This is an example of how media is negatively used for communication, but when in the right hands it can be used to spread positivity and open mindedness. This is how I believe one can be brave and stand up for what they think is right in an appropriate way.
            Overall, this line stood out to me because it is a core belief of mine. It is how a person can succeed in all aspects of their life and how a person can find their voice.

Hooks, Bell. "Seeing and Making Culture." Outlaw Culture: Resisting Representations. New York: Routledge, 1994. 193-201. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment